Baobab is the fruit of Africa’s ‘Tree of Life’ and is also known as the ‘Pharmacist Tree’. Baobab has also been hailed as “the vitamin tree” by National Geographic.
It is the only fruit in the world that dries naturally on the branch.
Among the best health benefits of baobab powder are its powerful antioxidants — more, in fact, than any other whole fruit; gram per gram, it has twice the antioxidants of goji berries and more than blueberries and pomegranates combined.
Baobab is one of the highest alkaline foods available as it has a PRAL (Potential Renal Acid Load) rating of -52 … The Journal of Environmental Health (2012) found that alkaline foods can also help defend our bodies from chronic diseases and ailments (such as hypertension, arthritis and deficiency in vitamin D).
Other important health benefits of baobab include its ability to boost the immune system, support bone strength, soothe the gastrointestinal system, lower inflammation, reduce blood pressure, and stimulate growth and repair.
5 Science Informed Reasons to Include Baobab in Your Dog’s Diet:
- Rich in Many Important Vitamins and Minerals – Baobab is highly nutritious and different parts of the plant supply varying amounts of protein, vitamin C, antioxidants, potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, calcium and B vitamins. (1, 2, 3)
- May Aid Weight Maintenance or Loss by Promoting Feelings of Fullness – Baobab is high in fibre and has been shown to reduce feelings of hunger which could promote weight loss. (4, 5, 6, 7)
- May Help Balance Blood Sugar Levels – Baobab may help slow the increase of blood sugar levels and decrease the amount of insulin needed to keep your dog’s blood sugar under control. (8, 9, 10)
- Antioxidant and Polyphenol Content May Reduce Inflammation – animal studies show that baobab helmayp reduce inflammation and prevent oxidative damage to cells. (11, 12, 13)
- High Fibre Content May Act a Prebiotic and Promote Digestive Health – Baobab is high in fibre, which may optimise your dog’s microbiome and improve their digestive health and prevent conditions like constipation,s a intestinal ulcers and inflammatory bowel disease. (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)