Basil is common herb much used in Mediterranean cuisine, known to be one of the diets most associated with good health and long life. Studies suggest that basil may provide similar health benefits to Holy Basil for your dog, such as stress reduction and blood sugar control.
Basil is not only a popular folk remedy for ailments like nausea and bug bites but also widely utilised in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), Ayurvedic medicine and other holistic medicine systems.
12 Science Informed Reasons to Include Basil in Your Dog’s Diet:
- May reduce memory loss associated with stress and aging. (9, 10)
- May reduce depression related to chronic stress. (11, 12)
- May reduce stroke damage and support recovery, whether given before or right after a stroke. (13, 14)
- May improve fasting blood sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides. (15, 16, 17)
- May reduce blood pressure in patients with hypertension. (18)
- Helps relax blood vessels and thin blood, similar to aspirin. (19, 20)
- May protect against damage to your dog’s gut, particularly preventing ulcers. (21)
- May reduce the likelihood of certain cancers, including of the breast, colon and pancreas. (8, 22, 23)
- May inhibit the growth of bacteria that cause dental decay. (26)
- Can improve food safety, such as if integrated into food packaging. (8, 27, 28, 29)
- May provide an alternative to antibiotics for infectious diseases, including combating antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. (7, 30)
- Helps repel insects, such as mosquitos and ticks. (31, 32)