Chamomile is one of the oldest, most widely used and well documented medicinal plants in the world and has been recommended for a variety of healing applications.
Chamomile is especially helpful in dispelling gas, soothing the stomach, and relaxing the muscles that move food through the intestines.
It is rich in some powerful antioxidants, including beta-carotene, that may have a variety of health benefits, including reducing the risk of cancer and heart disease.
Chamomile has some unique properties that may benefit the quality of your dog’s sleep.
6 Science Informed Reasons to Include Chamomile in Your Dog’s Diet:
- May Promote Digestive Health – Chamomile may protect against diarrhoea, stomach ulcers, nausea and gas, likely due to its anti-inflammatory effects. (1, 5, 6, 7, 34, 35)
- May Reduce the Risk of Certain Types of Cancer – Chamomile contains the antioxidant apigenin, which may help lower inflammation and reduce the risk of several types of cancer. (8, 9, 10, 11, 39–43)
- May Benefit Blood Sugar Control – the anti-inflammatory effects of chamomile may promote blood sugar control, especially when it’s consumed with a meal. (1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
- May Improve Heart Health – Chamomile is a great source of flavone antioxidants that may play a role in improving heart health. (12, 17, 18, 47)
- May Reduce Anxiety and Depression – there is some evidence that chamomile may reduce the severity of anxiety and depression. (1, 6, 19, 20)
- May Improve Sleep Quality – Chamomile contains antioxidants that may promote sleepiness and has been shown to improve overall sleep quality. (1, 2, 3, 4)