Methylsulfonyl- methane (MSM) Methyl- sulfonyl- methane (MSM)
Methylsulfonylmethane, more commonly known as MSM, is a popular dietary supplement used to treat a wide array of symptoms and conditions. It’s a sulphur-containing compound found naturally in plants, animals and humans. Our source is derived from plants.
MSM is widely used in the alternative medicine field by people looking for a natural way to relieve joint pain, reduce inflammation and boost immunity.
In addition, research supports its use in treating a variety of health conditions from arthritis to rosacea.
11 Science Informed Reasons to Include MSM in Your Dog’s Diet:
- Can Decrease Joint Pain Which Could Improve Your Dog’s Quality of Life – studies have shown that MSM is effective in reducing joint pain, stiffness and swelling. In doing so, it can improve your dog’s quality of life. (1, 2, 3, 86, 87, 90, 91, 132)
- Has Powerful Anti-Inflammatory Effects such as Increasing Glutathione Levels – MSM may reduce the release of molecules associated with inflammation, such as TNF-ɑ and IL-6, as well as boost levels of the powerful antioxidant glutathione. (4, 5, 6, 7, 86, 87, 90, 91)
- Can Speed Recovery After Exercise by Reducing Muscle Damage and Stress – MSM may help reduce pain, muscle damage and oxidative stress after intense exercise, helping you recover more quickly. (9, 10, 11, 152, 160, 161)
- Helps Alleviate Arthritis Symptoms by Reducing Pain and Stiffness – MSM has been shown to help reduce pain and stiffness in patients with arthritis. It may also help improve physical function. (12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 135, 136)
- May Help Relieve Allergy Symptoms by Reducing Inflammation – MSM may help reduce allergy-related symptoms such as rhinitis — including coughing, shortness of breath, congestion, sneezing and fatigue — by reducing inflammation. (15, 16, 17, 22)
- Can Boost Immunity and Help Your Dog Stay Healthy – MSM may help boost your dog’s immune system by reducing inflammation and increasing glutathione levels. (18, 19, 20, 112, 113, 114)
- Could Improve Skin, Nail and Coat Health by Strengthening Keratin – MSM may improve skin, nail and coat health by strengthening keratin and reducing inflammation. It could even help reduce symptoms of certain skin conditions such as rosacea. (21, 22)
- May Have Cancer-Fighting Properties – research has shown that MSM exhibits cancer-fighting properties in test-tube and animal studies, but more research is needed. (23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 31)
- May Reduce Damaging Oxidative Stress – MSM has been shown to suppress free radical activity in the body. (97, 142, 143, 144 ,163, 164, 165)
- May Support Cartilage Preservation – MSM has been shown to slow cartilage degradation long considered to be a primary cause of osteoarthritis. ([86, 90, 91, 132)
- May Improve Range of Motion and Physical Function – in studies significant improvements in physical function were observed. (18, 19, 135, 136)