Nutritional Yeast Nutritional Yeast
Nutritional yeast is a nutrient-rich, vegan food product with many potential health benefits. It is sometimes called a superfood because even a little of this high-protein, low-fat, nutrient-dense food provides a host of vitamins and minerals.
It’s a rich source of B vitamins, which support the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. Nutritional yeast is also high in iron, selenium, zinc, and potassium. It is also a good source of protein, providing essential amino acids that the body doesn’t make by itself.
Nutritional yeast provides energy and may help maintain healthy skin, hair, eyes, and mouth. It may be effective at supporting the nervous system and enhancing the immune system. Chromium in nutritional yeast may help control sugar levels for dogs with type 2 diabetes by improving glucose tolerance.
It is also a potent source of antioxidants including beta-glucans, which studies suggest may help protect against oxidative damage and lower cholesterol.
For a product so rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, nutritional yeast has a small environmental footprint at just 3.204 kg CO2e/kg. By comparison chicken meat’s footprint is 1200% higher at 39.16 kg CO2e/kg.
7 Science Informed Reasons to Include Nutritional Yeast in Your Dog’s Diet:
- It Is Very Nutritious – nutritional yeast is a vegan-friendly source of complete protein, B vitamins and trace minerals required for optimal health. (2, 3, 4)
- It Helps Prevent Vitamin B12 Deficiency in Vegans – fortified nutritional yeast contains high amounts of vitamin B12 and can be used to help prevent deficiency in vegans. (7, 8, 9)
- It Contains Powerful Antioxidants – nutritional yeast contains the antioxidants glutathione and selenomethionine, both of which can help protect your dog’s body from chronic diseases, including heart disease, cancer and macular degeneration, caused by oxidative stress. (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
- Nutritional Yeast May Boost Immunity – Nutritional yeast contains the carbohydrates alpha-mannan and beta-glucan, which animal studies suggest may boost immunity. (16, 17)
- It May Help Lower Cholesterol Levels – the beta-glucan in nutritional yeast may help lower cholesterol levels. (18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
- May Help Control Blood Sugar Levels – Chromium has been shown to control sugar levels for patients with type 2 diabetes by improving glucose tolerance. (27, 28)
- Small Environmental Footprint – at just 3.204 kg CO2e/k compared to chicken meat’s footprint which is 1200% higher at 39.16 kg CO2e/kg. (29, 30)