Pineapples are low in calories and loaded with nutrients and antioxidants.
Their nutrients and compounds have been linked to impressive health benefits, including improved digestion, a lower risk of cancer, improved immunity, relief of arthritis symptoms and improved recovery after surgery and strenuous exercise.
Bromelain, an enzyme found in pineapple, has been shown to jumpstart protein hydrolysis and extract more nutrition from plant proteins reducing quality differences between plant and animal proteins.
Pineapples have been a part of traditional medicine for centuries.
8 Science Informed Reasons to Include Pineapple in Your Dog’s Diet:
- Loaded with Nutrients – pineapples are packed with a variety of vitamins and minerals. They are especially rich in vitamin C and manganese. (3, 4)
- Improves Protein Hydrolysis and Nutrient Extraction – Bromelain, an enzyme found in pineapple, has been shown to jumpstart protein hydrolysis and extract more nutrition from plant proteins reducing quality differences between plant and animal proteins. (38)
- Contains Disease-Fighting Antioxidants – pineapples are a good source of antioxidants, which may reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers. Many of the antioxidants in pineapple are bound, allowing them to survive harsher conditions and produce longer lasting effects. (5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
- Its Enzymes Can Ease and Improve Protein Digestion – pineapples contain bromelain, a group of digestive enzymes that breaks down proteins. This may aid digestion, especially in those with pancreatic insufficiency. (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
- May Help Reduce the Risk of Cancer – pineapple contains compounds that reduce oxidative stress and inflammation, both of which are linked to cancer. One of these compounds is the enzyme bromelain, which may stimulate cell death in certain cancer cells and aid white blood cell function. (15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
- May Boost Immunity and Suppress Inflammation – pineapples have anti-inflammatory properties that may boost the immune system. (13, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28)
- May Ease Symptoms of Arthritis – the anti-inflammatory properties of pineapple may provide short-term symptom relief for patients with common types of arthritis. (30, 31, 32)
- May Speed Recovery After Surgery or Strenuous Exercise – the bromelain in pineapples may reduce the inflammation, swelling, bruising and pain that occurs after surgery. Bromelain’s anti-inflammatory properties may also aid recovery after strenuous exercise by reducing tissue inflammation. (33, 34, 35, 36, 37)