Coconut Oil Coconut Oilhttps://foodstruct.com/food/coconut-oil
Coconut oil is one of the few foods that can be classified as a “superfood”, made up of Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFA’s) and Long Chain Fatty Acids (LCFA’s). It is also high in healthy fats called medium chain triglycerides (MCT). To date, there are over 1,500 studies proving coconut oil to be one of the healthiest foods on the planet.
Coconut oil is high in healthy saturated fats that have different effects than most other fats in your dog’s diet. These fats can boost fat burning and provide your dog’s body and brain with quick energy. They also raise the good HDL cholesterol in their blood, which is linked to reduced heart disease risk.
Most of the fats we consume take longer to digest, but MCFAs (medium chain fatty acids) found in Coconut oil provide the perfect source of energy because they only go through a three-step process to be turned into fuel vs. other fats that go through a 26-step process!
It is a source of essential fatty acids and helps the body absorb important vital, fat-soluble vitamins such as A, D, E and K.
The environmental impact of Coconut oil is very low. Growing coconuts doesn’t require pesticides or herbicides, and coconuts are harvested by hand. There are however some impacts that result from processing copra into coconut oil.
9 Science Informed Reasons to Include Coconut Oil in Your Dog’s Diet:
- Coconut Oil Contains Fatty Acids with Potent Medicinal Properties – Coconut oil is high in fats called medium chain triglycerides (MCT), which are metabolized differently than most other fats. These special fats are responsible for a lot of the health benefits of Coconut oil. (1)
- Coconut Oil Can Increase Fat Burning – the medium chain triglycerides in Coconut oil have been shown to increase calories burned over 24 hours by as much as 5%. (4, 5)
- Coconut Oil Can Kill Harmful Microorganisms – the fatty acids in Coconut oil can kill harmful pathogens, including bacteria, viruses and fungi. This could potentially help to prevent infections. (6, 7, 8)
- Coconut Oil Can Reduce Your Dog’s Hunger Helping Them Eat Less – the fatty acids in Coconut oil can significantly reduce appetite, which may lead to reduced body weight over the long term. (9, 10, 11)
- The Fatty Acids in Coconut Oil May Reduce Seizures – the MCTs in Coconut oil can increase blood concentration of ketone bodies, which can help reduce epileptic seizures. (12, 13, 14)
- Coconut Oil Can Raise the Good HDL Cholesterol – studies have shown that Coconut oil can raise blood levels of HDL cholesterol, which is linked to improved metabolic health and a lower risk of heart disease. (15, 16)
- Coconut Oil Can Support Dental Health – can kill some of the harmful bacteria in the mouth, improve dental health and reduce bad breath. (21, 22, 23)
- The Fatty Acids in Coconut Oil Can Boost Brain Function in Alzheimer’s Patients – preliminary studies suggest that medium-chain triglycerides can increase blood levels of ketones, supplying energy for the brain cells of Alzheimer’s patients and patients with cognitive dysfunction, relieving symptoms although much more study needs to be done. (24, 25)
- Coconut Oil Can Help Your Dog Lose Fat especially Harmful Abdominal Fat – Coconut oil appears to be especially effective at reducing belly fat, which lodges in the abdominal cavity and around organs. (4, 15, 26)